Personal safety is a priority when you are in the medical field. You don’t always know what kind of diseases you are exposed to, especially in the emergency area. You can come face to face with a contagious diseases that can cost you your health. This is why wearing personal protective equipment like a lab gown and gloves is crucial.
Personal protective equipment, commonly referred to as PPE, are those equipment worn to prevent or minimize the harmful effects of certain hazards that you may encounter in your workplace, especially when you are in the medical industry where many things can lead to a dangerous health situation. enter
These equipment gloves, safety glasses or goggles, face masks or respirators, and lab gowns or coveralls.
Specifically, these equipment provide these benefits to the one wearing them.
- Eye and face protection. Safety goggles, masks and the like offer protection to the face where harmful material can come in contact with. These PPE, when worn effectively, is quite important since substances that can cause serious diseases can enter the eyes, mouth, nose and ears and get into your bloodstream.
Take, for example, handling a Convatec colostomy, where you come in contact with another person’s body wastes. If you don’t protect yourself and wear PPE, you will certainly acquire bacteria found in these wastes and fall ill.
- Hand and skin protection. As a medical practitioner, you are also exposed to certain chemicals, especially if you are assigned in the laboratory. Some of these chemicals can cause burns. When handling these substances in test tubes and using a single test tube holder, gloves are necessary so you don’t suffer when something goes amiss.
Cleaning substances with potent chemicals like the Cidex solution would also require you to wear gloves and full PPE so as not to acquire damage to your skin. This is a common scenario in the operating room where staff cleans and sterilizes items used during surgery.
Wearing PPE is required in the workplace when you are exposed to environmental hazards. It is not only hospitals that require them but also construction sites and other working areas.
Be sure to protect yourself and get the best PPE that will protect you well from Philippine Medical Supplies. The nation’s top supplier will make sure to deliver your things right at your doorstep. Check out the products that they have now.
Every student goes through practical tests. But the chemistry practical test can be a pretty challenging one. If you are soon to partake in such exams, learn some hacks on using devices such as the single test tube holder and other items, especially the ones used in titration. With these tips on taking on the chemistry practical test, you are sure to ace it.
- There are usually names of laboratory items and tips on using them on the back of your chemistry books. Look them up and apply them in your exam.
- Take your time during the exam, read the instructions carefully and think about what you need to do before actually doing it.
- Inspect your items before use. You may be given damaged materials with breaks and chips that can cause spills.
- In titrating, use your left hand on the burette to let tiny drops out and your right hand on your solution.
- Always handle your test tubes and beakers with care. Don’t directly touch anything with hot liquid or chemicals in it.
- Glass tubes, pipettes and rods are easy to break. Don’t use too much force with them, wear gloves and twist them into place instead of using other motions.
- Label your work!
And don’t forget to make your safety a priority. Always wear personal protective equipment such as a lab gown, gloves and goggles. Chemicals can be hazardous when they come in contact with your bare skin. Don’t suffer the consequences of handling them without the proper gear.
Once you’re done with your exam, help out and clean the items used. Some schools have their own portable autoclave machine for items that need sterilizing and autoclaving. If you know how to use the device, offer your assistance.
Otherwise, you can clean the things you used as you would others, or use Cidex solution if you must.
Practical tests are a part of every student’s life. You don’t have to stress to much about it like some students do. Study, practice and use the tips above and you will soon pass with flying colors.
Take time to practice with devices and tools from Philippine Medical Supplies and you will be quite familiar with each item’s use and how to use it properly during your exams. This assures you of having a good mark, if not having the best. Check out the most common things you utilize on your chemistry class and get them from Philippine Medical Supplies now.
There are already millions of people who are living or had lived with a Convatec colostomy all over the world. But despite this great number, many are still unaware of the condition or do not know what it is like living with such a condition.
Although having a stoma and a colostomy bag may be difficult, it is only just the beginning that is hard to accept. Once patients get used to it, living is just as it was before going under the knife.But understanding what someone with a colostomy is going through is necessary to be able to appropriately and sympathetically interact with them.
Living with a Colostomy
People with conditions such as Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis and bowel cancer would have never thought they would undergo an operation and come out with an internal organ sticking out of their lower abdomen, specifically, apart of their intestines. This is what someone with a colostomy goes through just before having that small bag
attached to their stomach.
Yes, a colostomy is a result of certain illnesses or conditions that prevent normal bowel functions and body waste discharge. And no, it isn’t a part of bedridden patient supplies. It is a misconception on some people’s mind that having a colostomy is a consequence of being old and bedridden, which is definitely not the case.
So once a person’s bowel functions are compromised, it is necessary to find a way for discharges to be excreted. Thus, a stoma is created. And having this can turn a person’s world upside down.
Here’s is one patient’s take on life after having a colostomy.
- It will start as something unacceptable, especially when you get it so suddenly.
- You might focus on all the negatives and hide from the world, or under a lab gown.
- But after accepting the fact that having a colostomy is life-saving, you can focus on the positive.
- You are alive and you will continue living greatly. No more constipation, bloating and no need for laxatives.
- You will empty the bag and clean the stoma several times a day but you will get used to it. And cleaning agents such as Cidex solution is a no-no. Water is enough.
- Most importantly, even with the bag, you can still live a normal life just like the one you had before surgery.
This is what you should understand about colostomies. And if you need to get bags, there’s Philippine Medical Supplies that you can rely on. Check them out today.
Medical supplies and equipment are a very important part of procedure in any health care facility and even in homes, which is why it is important these things get cleaned and sterilized well with a portable autoclave machine or any other way before being used. Improper cleaning of these medical devices can lead to harm, instead of the good.
Now, let us learn the ways of cleaning and sterilizing equipments with different methods, such as using the Cidex solution, so that it provides its purpose and not the other way around.
Cleaning Medical Equipment and Devices
There are many ways of cleaning medical supplies so that they achieve a level of cleanliness that is best for usage in the medical and other settings that can impact our health. But there are other items, such as those used in surgeries whether minor or major procedures, that warrants a material to be sterilized before using again. An example of these medical devices that need proper cleaning would be the Welch Allyn 60813.
Let us now learn the ways of keeping our medical items clean and ready to use.
- Ultrasonic Cleaning. From its name, it uses ultrasound and a cleaning solvent to clean items. The items need to be manually cleaned first and then placed on the cleaner, being completely submerged in the solvent, and cleaned for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Automatic Washer Sterilizers. These are modified steam sterilizers that should be followed according to manufacturer’s instructions to achieve proper cleaning and sterilization. But you need to make sure the instruments are lubricated after last rinse cycle and before sterilization cycle.
- Autoclaving. Whether you use a portable autoclave machine or a standard one, you can autoclave instruments one by one or in groups. This machine usually utilizes steam sterilization for cleaning. It is important that you do not overload the machine because steam cannot penetrate and properly sterilize items if this happens.
- Cold Sterilization. This process makes instruments sterile only after a 10-hour immersion. It is used if disinfection is needed rather than sterilization, just like for the single test tube holder and such items.
These methods can be used for different medical instruments and equipment. You need to be aware on what process is best for the items you need to clean.
Many cleaning agents and sterilization machines are available today for using even at home. If you need such things, you can just visit Philippine Medical Supplies and search for it. You can then expect a hassle-free transaction and smooth delivery right at your doorstep. Check out Philippine Medical Supplies now.
Cidex solution has been one of the most trusted sterilizing agents in the medical field. It is frequently used for cleaning and sterilizing medical tools especially those used in the operating room. And medical personnel, whether you’re a doctor, nurse or hospital staff, have the proper knowledge on the use of this chemical disinfectant. More so if you’re a student looking to work in hospitals and the like.
Cidex is a high level disinfectant for immersible items. It is necessary for the item to be disinfected to come in full contact with the Cidex solution, not leaving any surface of the item unsubmerged in it.
Containing 2.4% glutaraldehyde, which is a colorless liquid with pungent odor, Cidex is one of the most trusted disinfectant in hospitals and clinics because of its characteristics.
- It achieves high level disinfection in 20 minutes at 20°C making it highly effective.
- It is a long lasting solution which is reusable for up to 14 days and can be monitored with Cidex Solution Test Strips.
- It is compatible with and can be used on a wide range of instruments including the Welch Allyn 60813.
Cidex can safely and effectively disinfect different instruments, including those made of aluminum, brass, copper, stainless steel and plastics. And is highly effective against bacteria, mycobacteria, fungi and viruses.
Proper Sterilization Process
There are many disinfecting solutions used in medical institutions for the safety of patients, medical practitioners and staff. Proper disinfection and sterilization, not only of medical equipment and tools but also of patients’ rooms and certain areas of the hospital are required to be able to fully provide the effective and appropriate treatment that clients deserve.
To completely eradicate bacteria and other disease causing organisms, proper disinfection with Cidex and a portable autoclave machine is essential. Then, strictly follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the solution’s label.
- Clean the items to be sterilized before sterilizing to ensure effectiveness.
- The recommended soaking time is within 10-45 minutes.
- Completely immerse the items to be disinfected in the solution.
- Rinse the equipment in sterile water after soaking in Cidex and protect from re-contamination until used.
Prior to the sterilization process, safety of the personnel should be observed. Personal safety or protective equipment must be worn at all times. This will include a lab gown, rubber gloves, eye shields and a face mask.
We should always be armed with adequate knowledge when handling chemical products. And to ensure safety, only use products from trusted companies.
Find the best disinfectants and other medical supplies from Philippine Medical Supplies and be assured of a hassle-free transaction and quality items. Check them out now.
A ConvaTec colostomy is usually a product of a serious condition in the lower intestines or the rectum where an individual cannot normally pass stool. Because of this condition, a hole is surgically created to allow the passage of stool or urine into a bag on the lower abdomen. The conditions that usually warrant having an ostomy created are colon or rectal cancer, a bowel obstruction and inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn’s disease.
Ostomy Types and Caring for It
The hole in the stomach that is created to divert the passage of stool or urine for a patient who cannot do so through the normal process is called a stoma or ostomy. There are different types of ostomy depending on their location in the bowels.
- Colostomy – this is when a piece of the large intestine is brought through an opening in the abdominal wall. Diseases such as diverticulitis or fecal incontinence require the creation of a colostomy.
- Ileostomy – this involves the creation of an opening in the stomach for a part of the ileum or small bowel. Ulcerative colitis and familial polyposis are only two of the disease that needs this surgical operation.
- Urostomy – this surgery is required when the urinary bladder needs to be removed. The ureters are then connected to the ileum and brought through an opening in the abdomen.
Although many would think a colostomy is one of the most common bedridden patient supplies, having a stoma doesn’t really have anything to do with age. Anyone with a serious bowel disease may need to have a colostomy.
Caring for someone with an ostomy and cleaning the ostomy site may be a bit overwhelming, especially at first. But you will get used to it. And the patient himself can also take care of his own stoma.
Top care adult diapers won’t be necessary because when a stool passes, it goes directly to the bag attached to the ostomy. That’s all you have to change.
And to keep the stoma and the skin around it healthy, proper hygiene should be practiced. Cidex solution for cleaning is a definite no-no. Clean water or an irrigating solution is all that’s needed.
Then, follow up with a balanced diet and make sure no food blocks the opening.
When taking care of a patient with any type of ostomy, find the best supplies for its care at Philippine Medical Supplies. The top products will be delivered right to your doorstep, hassle-free. Visit Philippine Medical Supplies now.