Alcohol is one of the most versatile disinfectants today. It is used everywhere, from hospitals and homes to offices and schools. Its antiseptic property is both treatment and prevention for minor injuries and infections. No wonder most people carry a small bottle of this clear liquid in their bags wherever they go.
Uses of Alcohol
Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol is the type of alcohol that can keep you infection-free. Don’t mistake it for the type that gets you drunk. Although ancient people have been known to use alcoholic beverage to cleanse their wounds, this practice is no longer done today.
Carrying even just a small amount of alcohol whenever you go out can do a lot of good. Here are some of its uses, aside from being the most in demand hospital supply:
- At home
- Keep one in your first aid kit along with povidone iodine 10%. It’s your go-to antiseptic for wounds, cuts, abrasions and other injuries.
- It can keep things, surfaces, furniture and so much more sanitized.
- You can keep your floors and rooms disinfected with alcohol. Just mix it with water to dilute it and reduce the strong smell.
- In school
- It can keep students’ and teachers’ hands clean and limit the spread of infection.
- School supplies can be cleaned with alcohol as well to keep them sanitized.
- In the office
- It keeps employees infection-free by frequently rubbing their hands with alcohol. This also limits spread of infection.
- Everything in the office can be sanitized with it, thereby reducing bacteria and other causes of infection. Just pour some on a piece of cloth or cotton roll and use it to wipe things.
- Alcohol generally sanitizes everything it comes in contact with. It can be your hands or your belongings, as well as furniture and other stuff around you. This reduces the risk of infection because it kills bacteria and other microbes.
- Wounds can heal faster when cleaned with alcohol and covered with Bactigras. Alcohol facilitates faster and complete healing of open wounds and other injuries.
- This liquid can keep infection at bay. Rubbing some on your hands before and after every activity can keep you infection-free every day. Along with good hygiene and frequent handwashing, you can be safe from infectious diseases.
Having these supplies on hand can help you prevent sickness from getting to you. So be infection-free and get the best supplies from Philippine Medical Supplies. Visit their website today.
Some medical practitioners find a 3-way stop cock in a patient’s intravenous line a bit of a hassle. Having to manipulate it before finding the right connection requires gentle yet precise handling, especially if the patient’s veins are hard to hit. You wouldn’t want to get the cannula out of place and start another line then.
Although, this may be the sentiment of some personnel to the little paraphernalia, the bedside nurse can attest to the usefulness of the 3-way stop cock.
The 3-Way Stop Cock
A 3-way stop cock is a little device attached to an IV cathether introcan or to an arterial system. It provides a 3-way flow, which can be from inlet to outlet, from inlet to side-port, or from side-port to outlet, depending on which way the stop cock’s handle is turned. It is very useful for a lot of reasons.
- It can lessen a patient’s invasive lines which is quite helpful for those elderly with small and brittle veins. Pediatric patients with sensitive veins can also benefit greatly from the 3-way stop cock. It can be attached to their IV catheter neoflon and avoid having another line established.
- It can promote needleless drug infusion.
- It can be used to attach an extension line without having to prick another vein.
- It can also be used to draw blood samples for laboratory purposes.
How it Works
A 3-way stop cock works simply. You only have to take note which ports are the open and closed ones. After getting this tricky part, you will easily know which ports to turn for different purposes.
Take note, the IV line’s main purpose is to deliver fluids to the patient. So, after manipulating the stop cock, make sure to turn the handle and get the fluid delivered promptly. Unless otherwise directed, of course.
And since one purpose of the 3-way stop cock is to reduce the IV lines, handle the site carefully and gently. Secure the IV site with tegaderm and properly placed transpore plasters. This will make handling the stop cock for a different procedure easier.
Taking care of the sick is quite challenging and stressful. How much more if the patient is one of your own? Let us rest assured, though, that our sick will be taken cared of properly in medical establishments with the best quality equipment and supplies. And if you must, get the best medical supplies for your loved ones at Philippine Medical Supplies. They’re just a click away. Visit them now.
The modern mom has been given options when it comes to feeding her newborn, and the breast pump is one of those. Breastmilk has always been the best for babies. But not all mothers can breastfeed. And some mothers chose not to breastfeed for different reasons. Because of this, breast pumps have been invented.
The Breast Pump
Breast pumps have been around for a while. Getting breastmilk was practiced by mothers who can’t breastfeed but want to feed their babies breastmilk. This can also be done manually, without the aid of pumps. Yes, you can express breastmilk on your own using your bare hands.
However, with the advent of more sophisticated breast pumps, manual expression is no longer a popular trend.
Let’s learn about the different types of breast pumps.
- Manual pumps require you to place its mouth directly on the nipple, over the areola. You have to pump or squeeze the handle while keeping the pump’s mouth sealed over the nipple. The extracted breastmilk then goes to the attached container. Mothers usually pour out the collected milk into a small measuring cup to feed to their babies.This kind of pump is not very popular today, though.
- Battery-operated pumpsmake it easier for working mothers to multi-task while pumping. These pumps work on their own after getting them attached to your breast. You don’t have to use your hands like with the manual pumps. And you only have to charge or change the batteries after use.
- Electric pumpsare just like the battery-operated pumps. They run on electricity and allows multi-tasking. These pumps come with hassle-free cleaning. You won’t need to wash them with alcohol. Regular soap and water will do. Storage also comes easy since these breast pumps are quite handy and usually has a bag for travel convenience.
Breast is Best
Breast is best has been trending recently. However, many argue that breast is not always best. Just like everything else, it has to do with the situation. Some mothers don’t produce enough breastmilk. This case can be harmful to the newborn who depends solely on the breastmilk being fed him.
And while breastfeeding is important, feeding your baby expressed breastmilk still covers a lot of ground. Your baby will get the nutrition he needs, plus the antibodies passed through the colostrum are an essential benefit. Even mothers who are found to be diabetic through a freestyle glucometer can still breastfeed or pump. This act has been proven to be beneficial to these moms.
And while working moms opt to pump their breastmilk instead of breastfeeding, the hunt for the best breast pump is usually a hurdle. Don’t fret, though. Philippine Medical Supplies has all that you need. Visit them and find the best breast pump you’ve been looking for.
Opening a private medical practice is more than just investing in a defibrillator, an ECG machine and other medical supplies. There are many factors you need to consider before you actually open your services as a private medical practitioner. That’s why this venture is not an easy option to many.
However, starting a private medical practice offers a lot of benefits. It allows you to make your own business decisions, and it lets you be your own boss. While there are many challenges in the healthcare industry, it can’t be denied that it’s a decision that will help advance your career as a medical practitioner.
Consider the following tips to help you get started in your medical practice:
- Location is important. Make sure you pick the right location for your medical clinic or office. You want to be situated in an accessible, highly visible, and trafficked area. By merely being visible, you have a good chance of getting patients.
- Renting is the smartest choice when you’re starting out. It’s not a good idea to purchase a property right away. You want to be sure first that you have picked the right location. Rent an office for a couple of months or years first, and see how business grows. If the inflow of patients is consistent and good enough, then that’s the time you should consider buying a property for your office or clinic.
- Hire the right staff. Of course you need people to help you run your business. But be careful with whom you choose. You may gain or lose patients because of the staff you hire.
- Find a good accountant. One of the things you will find most challenging in having a private practice is business tax. Business taxes are complicated and, unfortunately, not all accountants out there understand the nuances of medical practices. Thus, you should look hard and well so you may end up with an accountant who will make things easy for you.
- Get a good supplier of medical supplies and equipment. There are many suppliers of medical equipment and supplies but not all of them are reliable. You should search the market really hard if you want to end up with a company that supplies only the highest quality digital BP Rossmax, GCU easy touch, foley catheter, capillary tube and others. Philippine Medical Supplies is one of the most reputable suppliers of top quality medical tools and equipment you can rely on.
If you have an elderly loved who is dependent on a wheelchair for mobility, it’s likely that your family has considered having him or her stay in an elderly care facility. Although this seems like a good plan, caring for your loved one at home will enable you to give them the kind of care they deserve from their family.
Below are some important tips a professional home care nurse may give you so you can provide quality care for your sick elderly:
- Take note of routines.
Following your loved one’s daily routine will help keep them in a good mood. For those elderly experiencing multiple chronic diseases like dementia, hypertension or Parkinson’s disease, a morning ritual will get them started with the right attitude. Allowing them to do what they do every morning will trigger their mind that it’s morning time and that they are about to start another beautiful day. That way, they won’t easily get agitated even if they have to wear an adult diaper the entire day.
- Mind the subtle clues.
Your loved one won’t always express their needs verbally. As a carer, you need to be observant of their needs and their entire condition by paying attention to some subtle clues such as their gestures, body language, tone of voice, mood, facial expressions, and so on. Even if they are using an egg mattress, remember that it’s still possible for them to feel pain or discomfort in their backs or legs when lying in bed.
- Keep everything clean and organized.
When taking care of an elderly at home, it’s important that you have everything you need to deliver proper and quality care. Always keep your tools clean or you may even have to use a sterilizer for them. Also, check your supplies of materials like gloves, adult diapers, or paper towels from time to time to avoid running out of them. Doing these things will not only keep everything arranged, but will help ensure you always have what you need.
- Always stay connected.
It’s not enough that you’re feeding your elderly loved one, or turning him or her on their anti bedsore mattress. You need to communicate and interact with them as well. Part of your task as a carer is to make them feel that they’re still part of the family. Thus, it’s important that despite their condition, you still treat them like everyone else.
If you try checking the cupboards or medicine cabinets of every household in the neighborhood, you’ll probably find an ear thermometer or a regular thermometer. That’s because these medical tools are easy to use and considered a necessity by parents. But aside from a thermometer, do you think there are other medical devices or tools that you need to have in your own home?
Below are some of them:
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with diabetes, having a glucometer at home will become a necessity. People with diabetes need to make some important changes in their lifestyle and habits. Also, they need to keep an eye on their blood-glucose levels on a regular basis. That’s because diabetes does not have clear symptoms. By constantly monitoring your blood glucose levels, you can protect yourself from the complications of diabetes.
A nebulizer is a piece of equipment used for changing liquid medication into some form of vapor that one can inhale. It is highly recommended for those who are taking asthma medications. Having this medical device at home is beneficial and can give parents peace of mind knowing that it is accessible for their children in case they have an asthma attack.
A pulse oximeter can be used at home to monitor a person’s oxygen level and pulse. This is beneficial for those people with conditions like asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and congestive heart failure among others. This way, their pulse and oxygen levels can be checked regularly. Any abnormalities will be recorded and made known to physicians.
Also known as blood pressure monitor, a sphygmomanometer is one of the most popular medical devices used at home. This device is composed of an inflatable rubber cuff that’s wrapped around the arm. It also comes with a measuring device indicating the pressure in the cuff. A bulb is used to inflate the cuff, and then a valve is in place for the release of the pressure. The sounds of the arterial blood flow can be listened to using a stethoscope.
Investing in medical devices that you can keep in your home is a smart decision when it comes to preparing for emergencies. While it’s not necessary that you purchase several tools, a sphygmomanometer and the other ones mentioned above can be considered a “must-have” for homes. To find reliable and top quality medical supplies and devices, check out Philippine Medical Supplies.
The use of a sterilizer for medical equipment is very important and a must in the medical field. Hundreds or even thousands of patients get infected with diseases and also die every year for the simple reason that the medical equipment and supplies used on them are not properly sterilized. Complications following surgical procedures may also surface for the same reason.
Below are some of the most important reasons why sterilizing medical supplies must never be ignored:
Proper medical sterilization reduces and may even prevent diseases from growing.
One of the most important reasons why medical devices and supplies must be sterilized properly is to prevent the spread and buildup of bacteria, which leads to various diseases. If you’re wondering why syringe disposable is used in hospitals and medical facilities, it’s because syringe becomes contaminated after use. After using any medical tool, it takes just a matter of minutes before bacteria infects it. If not disinfected properly, it becomes very likely for bacteria to grow in it.
Sterilization stops the spread of viruses.
When it comes to preventing the spread of viruses, sterilizing medical supplies is one of the first things that must be done. That’s why the chromic suture used during surgeries is sterile as well. All the other surgical equipment must be sterilized properly to ensure that the next person such equipment is going to be used on will not be at risk of getting the viruses or disease that another patient may have.
Sterilizing medical supplies helps avoid double surgeries.
There are a number of medical devices and tools that are used in surgeries. If the gauze bandage used is not sterile or the surgical tools are not properly sterilized, there’s a great chance that an infection will appear sooner or later. When this happens, it becomes necessary to perform another or the same surgery. What’s worse is that this can endanger the life of the person receiving the surgical procedure.
The sterilization and disinfection of medical tools and equipment is a necessary practice in the medical field. Other items like a gauze roll and gauze pad sterile must be used to protect the health and safety of every patient. If the correct and proper way of sterilizing medical equipment and supplies isn’t observed, there could be a number of medical problems that may occur. To make things worse, this may even result in death among patients.
Please visit the Philippine Medical Supplies website at to view the full range available.
First Aid Kit
A good quality First Aid kit is something that should be found in every home and workplace. The exact contents of each may vary according to the requirements if the user, with larger workplaces needed a larger stock of each item compared to a home, for example. Even the most basic of kits should include items to treat burns, cuts, grazes, scratches, bleeding, cleaning aids as well as some basic equipment such as scissors, tweezers and safety pins. As well as the basic equipment, a suitably marked box should be available in which to store the items. For larger establishments, a cabinet may also be utilised to store supplies. Philippine Medical Supplies have a range of First Aid kits, boxes, cabinets and supplies available on its website.
For many people, knee problems are an ongoing complaint. For others, particularly those participating in certain sports, the knee may be exposed to some level of stress that requires protection. Regardless of the reasons for using them,a knee support is able to provide protection for the knee. These supports can be the open or closed patella type, dependent on users’ preferences. They also come in a range of sizes and compression levels to suit individual circumstances.
A tourniquet is a type of bandage that is applied in emergency situations to stem the flow of blood from an injury. Due to the nature of their function, the risk of damage to the part of the body being treated is increased the longer the tourniquet remains in place, with experts suggesting 6 hours or more of usage is likely to result in serious damage to the body. Many experts suggest up to 2 hours is likely to result in no damage to the body.
For those who suffer from reduced blood circulation in the legs, the compression stocking is a possible and effective solution. These stockings work by compressing the limb which results in narrower veins – with increased blood flow in the area around the narrowed veins. Phil Medical Supplies have a variety of types available on their website.
An abdominal binder is worn in a variety of situations, including postoperative stages of abdominal surgery such as liposuction and abdominoplasty. They are also used during pregnancy for certain conditions, as well as after childbirth. In addition, they can be used to improve conditions for those who suffer from weakening of the abdominal muscles due to ageing.
Cervical collars are used by emergency services to provide support to an injured person’s neck after injury. They are also used by those involved in activities where neck injuries are common, including lifeguards and ski-patrol personnel. Typically, they are worn during transportation to medical facilities, but are also commonly used to treat patients with chronic neck conditions.
To view the complete range of the above, and the other medical supplies and equipment if offers, please visit the Philippine Medical Supplies website!