You don’t need to work in the medical field to have knowledge about intravenous therapy and learn about it. Even housewives and students will find it to their advantage to be aware about this medical treatment as well as the materials needed to properly start it like the macroset IV kit and the IV fluids that the body needs. This knowledge can save a life. And it can be your family members and loved ones that you can save.
First up, let us learn what IV therapy is and why some people need it.
- IV therapy is the administration of fluid called a solution directly into a vein for therapeutic treatment of certain health conditions.
- Its main purposes are to provide fluids to the body to keep it hydrated and replace fluid and electrolyte loss, to administer drugs such as antibiotics over a period of time, and to administer blood products when blood loss is suffered.
- Starting an IV line requires an IV needle which varies in size depending on the patient’s vein and the purpose of the therapy. When the vein is inserted properly, a dextrose hose is attached to either a micro or macroset which is then connected to the IV solution.
Now, here are the most common IV solutions that you should take note of so you know which ones to use in emergencies.
- 9% Normal Saline or Plain NSS Dextrose– most common, works for hydration in cases of vomiting, diarrhea and hemorrhage. It is the only IV fluid that is compatible with blood products. It should be used with caution in patients cardiac or renal problems.
- Lactated Ringers or LR – it contains sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium chloride, and sodium lactate in sterile water. It is like the body’s plasma or serum and is often used for burn patients and those suffering from hypovolemia. It should be avoided in cases of liver disease.
- 5% Dextrose in Water – it contains glucose, which is utilized by the cells for energy, and leaves water in the body. It is often used in diabetic patients who are not allowed to eat or drink. However, it can lead to fluid overload so it should be avoid in cardiac and renal problems as well as increased intracranial pressure.
These are three of the most common IV fluids around, and some that you should know about so you can properly administer them even without medical personnel around. Your quick judgement and intervention can save a life. So be sure you get your supplies from Philippine Medical Supplies ready!