With the countless different devices and equipment used in the medical field, it can be quite confusing what to reach for in times of emergency. This is why we need proper knowledge about such things, whether we are in the health industry or not, in order to be of help during serious situations. And the padded board splint (orange) is one of the items that you should take note of.
What is it and how can it be used during emergencies? Read on to find out.
What is the Padded Board Splint?
The padded board splint is a splint of wood that is padded on one side and covered with plastic or cloth. This is fastened to an injured extremity in order to immobilize it, usually done during transportation to a medical facility.
As with every emergency case, everything should be treated with the utmost care. And when the injury is suspected, such as a fracture, it should immediately be immobilized so as not to add insult to injury. And this is when you should grab the nearest board splint you can find and apply it on the injured site.
And for splinting to be effective, here are some key points you should take note of.
- Remove anything, such as clothing, that can impede the function of the splint.
- Bandage any open wounds properly before applying the splint.
- Splint above and below the suspected injury or fracture for immobilization to be effective.
- Assess the limb or extremity with the splint for motor function.
Any suspected injury should be handled with extreme care. Just like the use of the facemask carbon earloop, 50’s. No matter where you go, or if you know a place with cases of respiratory diseases, it is better to wear a facemask than be sorry. It is a preventive measure that can save lives.
The same goes for splinting using a padded board. Even if it is just a suspected case of fracture, it is better to treat it as such and prevent more problems in the future.
Now that you know what the padded board splint is all about, next thing you should do is know where to get it. And Philippine Medical Supplies is the perfect place to look. You can find daily medical supplies like facemasks and many device’s accessories such as the eartips, Littmann 40001.
Just head on over to the nation’s top medical supplier and search for whatever you need. Visit Philippine Medical Supplies now.
Having a Littmann stethoscope is a dream for many young people wanting a career in medicine. With the reputation and quality of different Littmann equipment, it is no wonder why many want to get their hands and own such devices. So, when you finally get your own Littmann stethoscope and the eartips, Littmann 40002, how do you take care of it to make sure it serves you a long time?
Learn the proper ways of cleaning and taking care of your Littmann equipment through this article. Continue reading below.
Taking Care of Your Littmann Stethoscope
The Littmann stethoscope has proven its excellence in the world of medicine, which is why it is the top brand that you see hanging over doctors, nurses and other medical professionals’ necks during their working hours. And many aspiring medical personnel would love to have such a high quality item to start off their career in the medical field.
But having such an excellent device to help in your medical journey would require you to have the proper knowledge in taking care of it so that you can extend its life and its acoustic performance.
Now, how do you go about with cleaning your Littmann Stethoscope?
- Clean each part thoroughly with 70% isopropyl alcohol or mild soapy water.
- Make sure to dry each part thoroughly before reassembling and reusing.
- To remove the turntable diaphragm, just pinch its rim then pull and lift it from the chest piece. After cleaning, put it back by inserting the flexible end into the groove of the rim and slowly roll it over the edge.
- For the eartips, just pull them firmly off the headset. Then put the small side firmly onto the eartube until it snaps into place, if you want to put reassemble it.
- The non-chill bell sleeve can be removed by pulling and lifting it off the chest piece, and reassembled by placing one side of the edge onto the bell and stretching it over and around.
If you have any trouble with the care of your Littmann device, just refer to the manual that comes with it. You will find detailed instructions on how to clean each part as well as how to properly remove and reassemble them.
But where can you get your Littmann stethoscope and eartips? Only at Philippine Medical Supplies. Check them out today and order your high quality device from the nation’s top medical supplier.
Unconsciousness is a medical emergency that requires immediate care. This situation can include those who are in a comatose state and those suffering from altered mental status. And if they aren’t treated right away, the situation can result to a life-threatening condition and may be the cause of the patient’s death. So, when you see someone in such a state, take out your first aid kit (FA0001) and begin emergency treatment right away.
Unconsciousness: A Medical Emergency
Unconsciousness is a state wherein a person is unable to respond to others as well as to activities. Some reasons for this condition include:
- Major illness or injury
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Low blood sugar
- Low blood pressure
These causes and the resulting loss of consciousness can be fatal if left untreated. Therefore, you should know how to handle such cases and learn the first aid treatment for them.
First Aid Treatment for an Unconscious Person
An unconscious person needs immediate treatment as soon as unconsciousness begins. And to help out, here are the steps you should take to manage the situation.
- Immediately asses if the person is unconscious or has an altered mental state. Ask questions like “what is your name?” or “what day is it today?”
- If the person is unconscious or has a changed mental status, call 911 or any emergency response team.
- Check the person’s ABC (airway, breathing, circulation). If you have a stethoscope with its Eartips, LITTMANN 40002, use it to establish if the patient has a pulse and to check for breathing. Start CPR if necessary.
- Roll the patient to his side if breathing is confirmed. If it stops at any time, put the person on his back and repeat CPR.
- If you suspect spinal injury, leave the patient lying as he is. But if vomiting occurs, carefully turn the patient’s whole body to the side at one time.
- Keep the patient warm until medical personnel arrives.
Keep in mind that you should not do the following in this situation.
- Never leave the unconscious person alone.
- Do not give any food or water.
- Do not slap the person or splash water on his face in an attempt to revive him.
With this knowledge, you will be able to save many lives. And if you have an emergency kit with you, along with your Stethoscope and eartips, LITTMAN 40001, you will be able to apply what you have learned more effectively.
Check out these medical supplies at Philippine Medical Supplies now. And if you want to have these items on hand, have them delivered directly to your doorstep. Visit their website today.
2018 has been a bumpy year for most people with all the calamities, riots and what not that may require breaking out the first aid kit (FA0001) and treating a couple of scrapes or two. Time to restock again because who knows, 2019 might even be a bumpier year. Let’s look at the basic and advance items you can put into your kit.
Items to Put in Your First Aid Bag
A first aid bag or kit can come in handy in certain types of situations. It may not be the sole thing that can save the life of a person, but you can stabilize the victim and it can mean all the difference in the world. These are the items that should be inside your bag.
Great for cleaning scrapes and cleaning the surroundings of wounds. Just remember not to apply it to directly on open wounds. These are the disinfectants that you can place in your bag. These can be used to wash your hands.
- Alcohol (Ethyl 70%)
- Betadine Cleanser
- Betadine Antiseptic
- Bacitracin (ointment or powder)
#2 Gauzes and adhesive tapes
Gauzes are wonderful multipurpose materials that can be used to pack bleeding wounds, cover open wounds, cleaning and more. In a pinch, they can be wound into tourniquets or makeshift arm slings. Adding the adhesive tapes and you have a pair that can conquer any type of wound.
- Gauze 4×4
- Gauze 8×10
- Adhesive tape (hypoallergenic) 1”
#3 Vital Signs Recording Devices
Some first aid kits ignore these devices but having them in your bag can really help you.
- Digital thermometer
- Digital / Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
- Stethoscope withEartips, LITTMANN 40002
They’re more for your protection to keep yourself from being contaminated by blood borne diseases and to prevent you from carrying pathogens from one patient to the other. It also reduces time in between when you have to wash your hands.
- Clean gloves (small, medium, large)
- Sterile Gloves (size 6.5,7.5,8.5)
#5 Elastic Bandage, Splints and other Immobilization devices
Fractures require different approaches. You’ll need items to immobilize them to prevent more injury to the client.
- Elastic Bandage 4” and 6”
- Splints (3×5, 3×12, 4×12)
- Cervical collar
- Arm slings
If your bag still has some space in it, it never hurts to have the following items.
- Bandage Scissors
- Blanket (thermal)
- Resuscitation equipment (self-inflating bag, airway or pocket mask)
- Extra pair of Eartips, LITTMANN 40001
List of numbers for emergency assistance
Be Ready for Any Emergency
Any disasters can be mitigated if you’re ready. With items from Philippine Medical Supplies, you can find all kinds of healthcare equipment that you can order and have them delivered right to your home.