It is estimated that more than 425 million people worldwide are living with diabetes. And it is one of the leading causes of death today. But do people know why they have such a serious disease? And how can regular monitoring of blood sugar at home using a glucometer with glucose strips, CONTOUR TS (50’s) help fight this battle?
Understanding the disease process is a key factor in managing diabetes. And with this knowledge, diabetics can live a life close to normal. More importantly, deadly complications associated with having a constantly high blood sugar can be prevented.
So, why exactly do some people have diabetes?
Causes of Diabetes
Checking your blood sugar simply by placing a tiny drop of blood on glucose strips, EASYTOUCH MINI (25’s) or any other glucometer brand and getting a higher than normal result will give you a reason to be worried. But don’t fret just yet.
A single blood test revealing an increased blood glucose level won’t label you a diabetic. But it can be considered prediabetes. What you need to do is test yourself properly on 2 separate occasions. And when the results of these tests both show increased results, that is when you are diagnosed as having diabetes.
But why does our blood sugar increase upon checking with glucose strips, FREESTYLE OPTIUM (50’s)?
There is no single exact cause of diabetes. It will vary depending on the type that the patient has.
- For Type 1 diabetes, blood sugar increases because the body lacks the insulin needed to turn glucose into energy that the cells need. This is considered an autoimmune reaction where the specific reason is still unknown. However, predisposing factors may be genetics, infection or any other autoimmune reaction.
- Type 2 diabetes, on the other hand, consider these factors as the reasons for high blood sugar levels:
– sedentary lifestyle
– increasing age
– unhealthy diet
– a family history of type 2 diabetes
- The cause of gestational diabetes, diabetes in pregnancy, remains unknown. But risk factors for this type include family history, obesity, polycystic ovary syndrome, and having a large baby (over 9lbs).
- Other causes of diabetes also point to these conditions: Cushing’s disease, pancreatitis, and glucagonoma.
So, which of these caused your blood sugar to increase?
No matter which it is, what is more, important is managing the disease. And having a glucometer with glucose strips, GLUCOSURE STAR (25’s) will help you with the important task of monitoring your sugar levels regularly.
Doing this will help you curb the symptoms of diabetes and make you lead a normal life.
So, get your glucometer complete with glucose strips at Philippine Medical Supplies, the nation’s top medical supplier and manage your disease effectively at home.